When choosing the right grade of steel for your parts or equipment, it’s important to understand the various properties, benefits, and applications of each option. AR500 steel is a strong, abrasion-resistant material that features a high carbon content. This steel grade offers several advantages that make it a popular option across various industries.
What Is AR500 Steel?
AR500 is a hardened steel plate that offers abrasion resistance and the ability to withstand high-impact applications and excessive wear. Due to these properties, many manufacturers rely on AR500 steel for mining purposes, truck plows, armored applications, targets, and more.
AR500 steel plates possess numerous advantageous characteristics that give them long-term strength and durability. Some of the key design characteristics include:
- Hardness. AR500 has a surface hardness of 470 to 540 BHN, giving it the highest hardness level among AR steel plates.
- Regulated Standards. AR500 steel meets the mechanical property requirements established by ASTM E10 standards. Its flatness and thickness characteristics are also 50% of the required specifications outlined by ASTM A-6.
- Damage Resistance. AR500 steel is abrasion-resistant, designed to hold up against damage from heavy wear, rub wear, and slide wear. It can also be used for long-term or heavy-duty applications.
Because AR500 plate steel is so hard and resistant to damage, it can be used across a wide range of industries to create products that must handle potential wear, high-impact applications, and heavy-duty work.
Some of the most popular uses of AR500 plates include the manufacturing of:
- Dump liners
- Truck beds
- Truck plows
- Underground miners
Benefits of AR500 Steel
AR500 steel is well-regarded because of its high degree of durability and dependability. Some of the key benefits of choosing AR500 steel plates include:
- Long-Term Cost-Effectiveness. AR500 steel parts don’t have to be replaced as often as parts made from other materials. This leads to reduced maintenance and replacement costs over time. It also minimizes disruption and downtime due to repairs.
- Durability. This metal is long-lasting, even in extreme use cases. This makes it a popular option for industries that are exposed to harsh conditions.
- Resistance to Damage. AR500’s unique resistance to wear and tear means end-users don’t have to worry about breakage.
Working With PDF, Inc. for AR500 Steel
At PDF, Inc., we have been working with AR500 steel and other hardy metals for over 28 years to design and fabricate parts for commercial and industrial use. Our company is ISO 9001:2015 certified in maintaining stringent quality control and product management processes. Our engineering and fabrication teams can handle small and large production orders of OEM machinery and equipment as well as the production of everything from small, complex goods to oversized assembly line systems. We serve the following industries:
- Food and Beverage
- Material Handling
Choose PDF, Inc. to design, fabricate, and manufacture parts from AR500 steel that you and your team can rely on for long-term, heavy-duty performance. Contact us today to learn more about our capabilities or request a quote to start your order.